Friday, September 27, 2013


Our Story...A few years back I wanted to give a gift to someone who was really special. She was the mom of one of my friends and she was battling cancer. I wanted to give her something that could offer her encouragement every single day, and I wanted for it to be a gift that was original, preferably handmade. I’m not sure exactly sure how the idea came to me, but what I ended up doing was giving her a two quart mason jar full of Bible verses, most of them about hope. They were typed on strips of colorful paper - over 365 in all. That way, she could pull one from the jar every day for the coming year, a year that I knew was not going to be easy. By giving her a year’s worth of verses, I was trying to let her know that I knew she would recover and be able to pull a verse every day for the entire year. I told her that after the year was over, I would refill the jar and I’m happy to say I have refilled that jar for six years now. After months of treatment she got better, and today she is still healthy and cancer free. I’m not saying the jar made the difference in her health but I do think it gave her a daily dose of inspiration, and more importantly, hope.

Since then, I have repeated this gift several times for birthdays, weddings, Mother’s Day, First Communions, Christmas gifts, and graduations. Everyone who received one loved it, and actually used it for daily inspiration. Some of them said I should sell them but I really didn’t think too seriously about it until recently when I was making one for my new neighbors. I wasn’t sure of their religion, so instead of Bible verses, I placed over 365 inspirational quotes in the jar. It then occurred to me that there were lots of things that could fill a mason jar...and Joliday Jars was born.

No comments:

Post a Comment